[asa] "junk" DNA

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 11:13:02 EDT

Not so fast, Pim, not so fast.

ID adherents have for some time been saying precisely this: that "junk DNA"
isn't junk, that it probably does have a function as yet unknown. This
follows from their overall view of biology, and it's fair for them to
trumpet this. It is not fair for you to deny them their point.

Francis Collins makes much of functionless DNA that is found in humans and
other organisms, in the same locations, as evidence for common descent. I
still think his point is generally valid--we'd have to be able to say what
all of that stuff does, exactly, in order to refute his point--and I think
there is plenty of other evidence suggestive of common descent. I mention
this here simply to say that IDs have questioned this particular point as
Collins presents it, and insofar as scientists find evidence that "junk DNA"
may be somewhat oxymoronic, then IDs can fairly claim it as something in
their favor.

The conversation about ID is just so highly politicized, of course, on both
sides of it, that it can be very hard for genuine truth to emerge and be
recognized as such. My own suspicion is that, as JBS Haldane once put it,
the universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we
*can* imagine. The creator may have surprises for both "sides," which IMO
try to limit what the creator can/would/did do, based on human assumptions
about science, nature, and God.

ted