Re: [asa] Altruism and ID

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 18:53:52 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. F. Siemens, Jr." <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
To: <gmurphy@raex.com>
Cc: <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>; <christine_mb_smith@yahoo.com>; <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: [asa] Altruism and ID

> George,
> I thought you'd be the one to come up with something obvious: if Jesus
> were only human, we might say that he had great genes (if that be the
> cause of altruism). But he had the benevolence of the Godhead as well.
> Dave

Yeah, I thought of that. But here's another point, one that I was in fact reflecting on a bit in my sermon on today's gospel, Lk.7:11-17, the raising of the son of the widow at Nain. There - as in some other places in the gospels about Jesus' dealing with sufferers - his response is described with the verb splanchnizomai. (NRSV, "he had compassion for her.") splanchnon is literally "entrails" or viscera, & the sense of the verb I think is to have a "visceral feeling" for someone. & one would have to ask if one can ascribe that in the full sense to God. Perhaps it is only through of the Incarnation that God is able literally to have com-passion with creatures.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/