Re: [asa] Scary statistics

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 20:30:42 EDT

PvM wrote:
> "Creationism, that is, the idea that God created human beings pretty
> much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years"
> is probably or definitely true: 66%
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2007-06-07-evolution-poll-results_N.htm?csp=34
>

> Surely ignorance can not be that widely spread amongst US citizens?

If, after you have shared a well-mixed body of additional facts, you
could imagine a YEC responding “Oh – now I see the light. Of course it
must be so!”, then you can imagine their condition as being one of
ignorance. If not, then their position is not due to ignorance, but to
decidedness. Some YECs would even insist they have heard and are aware
of all the evolutionary arguments, Ad nauseam. Call them stubborn,
thick-headed, wrong, whatever, but probably not ignorant. Then you may
begin to make some inroads with that 66%. They know who they trust and
who they don’t.

“To understand my position is to agree with it.” --most of us are put
off by that explicit kind of arrogance – not just YECs.

--Merv