Re: [asa] Re: Cosmos in the Light of the Cross

From: David Campbell <>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 11:56:04 EDT

> What the breakdown of determinism allows is not divine action
> itself but divine action which has some freedom and is still in accord with
> the laws of physics, & is thus still in a sense hidden.

It's a bit ironic that non-deterministic situations are now more
popular to invoke as removing divine action, whether in atheistic
invocations of randomness or in theistic attacks on randomness. If
people had a decent grasp of God's providence, a lot of
science-religion trouble would be avoided.

> But I'm asking more in the sense of responding to an atheist who sneers that it
> is fine for us to claim God's activity so long as it is *really* explainable in
> completely natural terms

There is also the fact that the atheist has difficulty in justifying
the underlying philosophical assumptions of science, not to mention
topics outside of science.

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama