Re: [asa] Pim

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Jun 05 2007 - 09:20:12 EDT

Only because I have a moment and value knowing a bit more about persons on this list also, just as others have noted, would I like to ask the following question. This is not a question that applies to other 'anti-IDists' or 'persons who do not accept ID' at ASA, which appears to be the vast majority, if only going by this list. It is asked only to Pim because he appears to be the staunchest anti-IDist I've ever witnessed on-line in over four years following (the) ID-creation-evolution discourse, who at the same time advocates Christian views of science.

  Pim: Is there anything GOOD or productive about ID or the IDM that you would be willing to admit; that is, do you see anything creatively positive about ID and its connection with Christian views of science? [Please don't answer with a 'good, but...' - I'm just asking for a 'good, and...' answer with a period after it.]

  I've asked this before, more than once, and have as of yet heard no response. However, since this thread has your name on it, perhaps you'll be willing to share your not-always-so-negative views about ID. One can only play the apophatic tune for so long until a kataphatic rythme reveals itself.

  Thanks,
  G Arago

  PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com> wrote:
  Sure, let me (re)-introduce myself. My name is Pim van Meurs and my
background includes a Master's degree in physics (control system
dynamics) and a PhD in Physical Oceanography.
I enjoy learning about new ideas and feel strongly about scientific
issues. As a graduate student I was exposed to YEC for a short
duration which has caused me great concern about science and religion.
I believe it to be of importance that I as a Christian present as much
as an accurate scientific picture as possible or at least present a
picture which I am willing to support with facts, supporting data etc,
as accuracy or lack thereof is not only detrimental to the scientific
argument but also detrimental when people see scientific ignorance
being promoted as science by religious people. As such I have grown
fond of St Augustine's position on these matters.
Some people may see my position as that of a devil's advocate which is incorrect. I try to avoid proposing ideas which I personally do not
support, what I do however is to point out when others make strawman
arguments about what opponents (such as Dawkins) believes or not
believes.

I am in other words a Christian and a scientist.
Hope this helps

Pim