Re: [asa] various questions(Cosmic Fall?)

From: <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Sun Jun 03 2007 - 04:43:47 EDT

This matter is not directly concerned with a old/young earth, but is an
integral part of the typical YEC world view and thus is important.
I strongly recommend to David and his father the paper by John J. Bimson
in Science and Christian Faith (2006), 18, 63-83, titled Reconsidering a
'Cosmic Fall'. In particular, Bimson examines the relevant biblical texts:
Gen 3: 17-19, Isaiah 11: 6-10, OT nature poetry, Romans 5 & 8, Col. 1:20.
Bimson says that his survey suggests that those theologians who have
reduced the scope of the fall from the cosmic to the merely human have
been on the right lines. But 'natural evil' remains a problem. Bimson
discusses alternative approaches, by Ruth Page, John Polkinghorne, and a
certain George L. Murphy who needs no introduction on this list!

In Romans 5:12 Paul is clearly talking about human death (and spiritual
death at that).
Re Romans 8:19-22, Bimson concludes that it seems certain that Paul has
something more (and perhaps something other) in mind than Gen.3:17-19.
Bimson quotes Tom Wright (The Resurrection of the Son of God, p. 249):
"The tragedy of Adam is not just that he introduced sin and hence death
into the world, but that humans were made to be the creator's wise agents
over creation, and if they worship and serve the creature rather than the
creator this purpose goes unfulfilled."
This means that creation itelf does not need to be redeemed because it has
been subject to a fall, but rather needs to be released from the
transitoriness to which it is currently restricted.
Don