Re: [asa] Re: various questions

From: Jack <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun Jun 03 2007 - 00:18:44 EDT

Just a brief reply on Romans 8.

The word of interest in the greek word "ktisis"

This can be translated as creation, or creature. In fact the following is the King James translation:

17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. 18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. 20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. 24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

In my opinion this passage does not refer to all of creation, but is referring to people. I have heard different interpretations of this, Gentiles, Old Testament saints, all of mankind, but I do not think that Romans 8 indicates that the entire creation is in need of redemption, just as all of creation was not cursed by sin in Genesis 3. Only man is in need of redemption, sin came from a man, and salvation came from a man.