Re: [asa] Inquiry about Orthodox view of heaven

From: George L. Murphygmurphy@raex.com <Murphygmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 22:12:25 EDT

 t clearly was not an issue for a lot of &gt; people for a long time, however--unlike evolution has proved to be. I know &gt; only a little about science and Orthodox faith, and this topic does not fall &gt; into that little box. Comments are solicited. &gt; &gt; Ted &gt; &gt; Here now is David's inquiry: &gt; A few years ago I was in Moldova, visiting an atheist scientist, and &gt; he took me to see a monastery. There we got into an interesting &gt; discussion with the monks. The monk asked him why he wasn't a &gt; Christian, and he said because he knew about outer space and there &gt; was no God up there. I asked him where he got that silly belief, that &gt; God was sitting up in the stratosphere. He said it is the universal &gt; teaching of the Orthodox church. I asked the monk if it was true, and &gt; he said yes-- and then he launched off into a diatribe that sounded &gt; just like a young earther-- the appearances to the contrary were a &gt; conspiracy by atheist scient
 ists, etc. They both agreed this was the &gt; teaching of the Church. It shed light to me on Yuri Gagarin's &gt; statement, &quot;I don't see God up here&quot;-- I always thought that was just &gt; facetious, but apparently it was a real issue in the Russian orthodox &gt; church. &gt; So, here is my question. It seems at one time it was a universal &gt; interpretation of the Bible based on Jesus &quot;ascending&quot; to heaven, God &gt; speaking from the sky, Jacob's ladder, etc., that heaven is &quot;up&quot; in &gt; the skies. In the West this belief seems to have passed without a &gt; whimper, while in the East it is still alive with young-earth like &gt; fervor. When did it pass away in the West? Why? Clearly by the 1800's &gt; it was a nonissue in the West, long before there was space flight. &gt; This is relevant today because I was just having a discussion with an &gt; intelligent young earther and he asked whether it makes God a &gt; deceiver to give us a text that e
 veryone universally read as meaning &gt; literal 24 hour days until science came along. But by the same token, &gt; everyone read the Bible to mean that heaven was &quot;up&quot;. If you argue &gt; the one is deceptive, you have to argue the other, it seems to me. &gt; Perhaps this issue is already well documented, and you can give me a &gt; reference. &gt; &gt; &gt; To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@calvin.edu with &gt; &quot;unsubscribe asa&quot; (no quotes) as the body of the message. &gt; </p>
George L. Murphy