Re: [asa] Truth

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 16:09:17 EDT

Merv,
Truth has to be a broader concept than the quotes indicate. The passage
deals with empirical truth, which can at best be tentative, for there is
no guarantee that our language exactly mirrors reality. Indeed, the
formulas in the physical sciences give more exact results than the
measurements. And what I learned and did experiments on, Cu2S. isn't.

As to insisting on the total truth of scripture, I note that we ruminate,
but are not ruminants, for with us the activity is mental. However, hares
and hyrax do not ruminate mentally, do not have the multiple gastric
apparatus of ruminants, but are specified as ruminants in Leviticus 11:5,
6 and Deuteronomy 14:7. Whether the brother realizes it, folk wisdom is a
part of scripture. This was recognized by Augustine, Calvin and those who
formulated the confessions at the time of the Reformation. It is also
expressed in II Timothy 3:16, which does not mention historical or
scientific fact.

Tautologies are also true, logically true, but tell us nothing about
reality. Indeed, they apply equally to all possible worlds, which are all
concatenations of descriptors that are consistent. Mathematical
statements are also tautologies, so the modern "close enough" approach is
neither fish nor good red beef, but it is foul.
Dave