Re: [asa] Truth

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 09:45:38 EDT

At first blush, this seems to me like one of those things that is really
difficult to digest in a "critical"-in-the-sense-of-being-"thoughtful" but
not "critical"-in-the-sense-of-being-negative" way. (I think you did a good
job with this, Merv).

This is my 1000-foot perspective, without having seen the whole curriculum:
the popularity of the "emerging church" in recent years has prompted some
evangelicals, in response, to renew a focus on the concept of "truth" and
"worldview." "Emerging church" folks tend to question the comprehensiveness
of human ability to know and systematize absolute truth (though most,
contrary to some criticisms, accept the concept of absolute truth). They
also tend to question American evangelicalism's political inclinations, and
some question american evangelicalism's attitudes towards science (I
recently blurbed a TE-oriented book that also was blurbed by Brian McLaren
-- http://www.blog.beyondthefirmament.com/ -- which shouldn't be taken to
mean that I'm either "emergent" or "TE," though I have some affinities with
both, I guess) .

I see Focus' "Truth Project," along with this year's IICS Conference "Truth
Under Deconstruction" (http://www.iics.com/vision2007.html) and similar
efforts, in many ways as an effort to respond to the emerging church with a
"traditional" understanding of truth, including a very systematic Christian
worldview. I would note that some of the folks associated with what I'd
call the "Biola School" are writing and lecturing on these themes (folks
like Groothuis, Moreland, Geisler, Phil Johnson).

At first blush, I have to applaud many aspects of the Truth Project. Surely
the popular culture at large needs to hear that there is a reality outside
of nature and self -- that God exists, that we don't make our own reality or
merely respond blindly to environmental pressures, that ethics and morality
are rooted in something that transcends "nature red in tooth and claw."

And yet, Merv, I share your ambivalence. It seems that a "Johnsonian"
critique of evolution and a strong ID program comprise a fair share of the
"science" curriculum. It also seems that the "law" part of the curriculum
is heavy on a particular version of the history of America's founding and of
the source of American jurisprudence. I'm guessing that I'm going to have
problems with many of the details of both of these areas of emphasis.