[asa] The Singularity

From: Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 10:04:33 EDT

For those interested. ~ Janice

*[1] THE SINGULARITY ** http://tinyurl.com/2xluev
*

claptrap

Pretentious, insincere, or empty language: “I hate … that air/Of
claptrap, which your recent poets prize” (Byron).

jingoistic - fanatically patriotic

This kind of jingoistic claptrap:

1)Denigrates a great country

2)Can easily be shown to be less than truthful

3)Is way off topic on this list which is supposed to be about science
and christianity

4)Is embarrassing to many citizens of the USofA who have knowledge of
other countries and societies as it leads to the charge of Ugly
American. After our time living in Helsinki in 73-74 we spent a month
touring Europe where we found some citizens of the USofA wearing
Canadian flags as camouflage and when we asked them where they are from
they would sheepishly admit to living south of the 49th parallel and I
don't mean people like my first cousins whose mother was Canadian or my
grandchildren who have dual citizenship.

5)Is highly offensive to other countries that proportionately have
sacrificed more to protect civilization.

WW1 start date 1914
US entry 1917

WW 1 Casualty Figures (figures differ slightly from source to source)
            Pop Millions Killed Killed as % of Population
Australia 4.5 62,000 13%
Canada 7.2 65,000 9%
French empire 39.6 1,397,800 3%
United Kingdom 45.4 885,000 2%
United States 92.0 116,800 .13%

WW2 start date Sept 1939
US entry Dec 7 1941

6)The British also might have had something to do with developing
democracy and freedom to whit:
Magna Carta (Latin for "Great Charter", literally "Great Paper"), also
called Magna Carta Libertatum ("Great Charter of Freedoms"), is an
English charter originally issued in 1215. Magna Carta was the most
significant early influence on the extensive historical process that led
to the rule of constitutional law today. Magna Carta influenced many
common law and other documents, such as the United States Constitution
and Bill of Rights, and is considered one of the most important legal
documents in the history of democracy.

Singularities by the way imply nothing about uniqueness and the one
pictured appears to be negative going which is probably not what was
intended. :-) I have been privileged to live in four different countries
(Finland, USofA, Canada and Ethiopia) during my life and have learned
much from each of them.

Dave W