Re: [asa] High School Genius & Her Science Project

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 28 2007 - 18:33:36 EDT

Indeed, it shows how America indeed has abandoned reason. Just for example

<quote>
Farther into the movie, Al explains the greenhouse gas effect. He
presents a graphic that shows the sun's rays heating the Earth's
surface resulting in infrared rays going from the Earth's surface and
back into space. His graphic suggests that some of the outgoing
radiation is reflected from the top of the atmosphere and back to
Earth. This idea is the basis of anthropogenic (man made) global
warming theory.
</quote>

This is the idea of the green house effect, global warming is just a
green house effect which is increasing in strength

<quote>
 He fails to mention that this effect has never been measured, only
calculated, and by scientists on one side of the debate. This is one
of the most hotly debated issues in the global warming debate.
</quote>

I doubt that few scientists are denying the existence of the green
house effect. It is in fact not really a hotly discussed issue.

<quote>
Not only does this issue involve complicated theoretical quantum
physics, but water vapor absorbs infrared radiation. As is often the
case in global warming presentations, he forgets that water vapor is
by far the most abundant greenhouse gas; 3 to 4 percent of the
atmosphere. And this is important because at most, man-made greenhouse
gases are 1/ 10,000 of Earth's atmosphere.
</quote>

You must be kidding... Complicated theoretical quantum physics to
explain the green house effect? And yes, water is a major greenhouse
effect, I wonder what the relevance of this is.

I wonder if Janice really wants such ignorance to be shared with
others without a fair warning?

Sad to see how high school kids are being misled by 'pseudo science',
no wonder the US is in such a bad shape. Scary...

Thanks for sharing Janice, let this be a warning to all of us who are
tempted to rely on bad science to make their case.