Re: [asa] VATICAN CLIMATE CONFERENCE APRIL 25-26, 2007

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon May 28 2007 - 16:25:58 EDT

At 05:28 AM 5/28/2007, (Matthew) Yew Hock Tan wrote:

>"The last Pope wasn't much interested in
>greenery either, but in 1990 coined the term
>ecological conversion, which was mentioned by several
>speakers. "
>
>I thought the Catholic Church has worked out an
>ecumenical document with the Eastern Orthodox
>Church on environmental care? And that was
>under Pope John Paul II, with the then Cardinal
>Ratzinger as his deputy guardian of doctrines.
>
>If the Pope was not interested, why chose such a
>topic to make an ecumenical statement?

@ Probably because proper stewardship of our
environment is one of the individual Christian's
responsibilities toward God, in this order:

"..the pope considers an authentic...theology:
one that puts [1] God and the life of the spirit
first, [2] direct charitable care of others
second, [3] and only then draws consequences for
a just social order." http://ncrcafe.org/node/1091

At a Vatican conference on climate change, Pope
Benedict urged bishops, scientists and
politicians - including UK environment secretary
David Miliband - to "respect creation" while
"focusing on the needs of sustainable
development". The Pope's message ... that
"disregard for the environment always harms human
coexistence, and vice versa".

.. About four years ago the progressives began
..redefining environmentalism as "creation care", ....

Although the
[
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewGroups.asp?catid=19
] World Council of Churches in Geneva has had a
department to investigate climate change since
1990, churches have come late to the debate. "The
[environment and religion] is a no-brainer, but
we are all only now realising it", said Claire
Foster, environmental policy adviser to the Church of England.

[[[ World Council of Churches is the largest
coalition of leftist religious denominations in
the United States and has a long record of
financial support for Communist
regimes: http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/groupProfile.asp?grpid=6916 ]]]]

[[[ Pope Benedict, on the other hand,
denounces Marxist/Communist influence warning
where it leads: http://ncrcafe.org/node/1082 ]]]

Many faiths also realise their potential to
influence politicians and financiers. A survey by
US bank Citigroup found that the 11 major faiths
now embrace 85% of the world's population and are
the world's third largest group of financial
investors. In the US the United methodist church
pension fund alone is worth $12bn-$15bn
(£6bn-£7bn). Total investment of US churches is
nearly $70bn. Switching to ethical investments would be hugely significant.

One Catholic priest impatient for change is SeŠn
McDonagh, a Columban missionary and author of
books on ecology and religion. "The Catholic
church's social teaching on human rights and
justice has been good, but there has been little
concern about the impact on the planet. The
church has been caught up on its emphasis on
development and on resisting population control,
but if we are pro-life we should be banging the
drum now about climate change." .."

Source: John Vidal and Tom Kington in Rome
Friday April 27, 2007 The
Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,2066711,00.html

~ Janice