[asa] PZ Myers panics: My guy is a "creationist???"

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 23:37:58 EDT

I think it's pretty funny watching the atheists
panic over the rumor that their chosen political
candidate Algore might be a YEC. :)

PZ Myers asks:

What are you doing, Al?

Category:
<http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/creationism/>Creationism

<http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/politics/>Politics
Posted on: April 24, 2007 6:00 AM, by PZ Myers
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/04/what_are_you_doing_al.php

Al Gore is generally a good guy, and I think his
message on global warming is an important one.
He's still traveling around, giving his slideshow
that we've seen in An Inconvenient Truth, but
apparently he has
<http://blog.antidelusionist.com/2007/04/23/al-gores-slideshow.aspx>added
some new material ­ and these aren't slides that make me very happy.
The slide I found particularly
interesting/shocking/sad, was his new(?) slide
containing a graph of human population growth
over the past couple hundred-thousand years. It
started off good. He pointed at the beginning of
the graph, showing the population of humans on
Earth from 200,000 years ago, and referred to the "rise of humans."
Cool beans. So he believes that Homo sapiens
evolved from other hominid ancestors, right?
Nope. In the very same breath, he then continued
to explain that according to his religious
beliefs, this "rise of humans" was God's creation
of mankind ­ apparently 200,000 years ago. His
graph then changed to include the caption "Adam &
Eve" above this starting point.
Wha…?

He might as well have shown the
<http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/>chart
of global temperature vs. number of pirates ­
it's nonsense that completely undercuts the
serious of the science he's discussing.

It's strange how this one little slide makes me
far less enthusiastic about the prospect of
another Gore run for the presidency. Even if he
doesn't actually believe in a literal creation
event for mankind, he's not above pandering to the ignorant.

Comments:

  #16: Kudos to PZ for drawing attention to this,
As for the comments, I find it hilarious that a
site usually so populated with red meat atheists
suddenly gets all forgiving when Al's ox is being
gored, so to speak. Gore's a Southern Baptist.
The explicit teaching of the Southern Baptists is
that the Bible is literally true and inerrant.
Either Gore is an apostate, or he believes in the
(scientifically impossible) story of Adam and Eve.

Posted by:
<http://homepage.mac.com/gerardharbison/blog/RWP_blog.html>Gerard
Harbison | April 24, 2007 08:04 AM

#19: Double barf! Apparently, when he was
running for President, he endorsed teaching creationism in schools!

CNN (August 27, 1999):

Should presidential candidates be arguing over
whether the planet is 4 billion years old, or
whether was it made in six days 10,000 years ago,
or if men and dinosaurs coexisted?

It all started when a spokesman for Vice
President Al Gore announced that the vice
president "favors the teaching of evolution in
the public schools," adding the decision should
be local and "localities should be free to teach creationism as well."

<http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/27/president.2000/evolution.create/>http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/27/president.2000/evolution.create/

Posted by: CalGeorge | April 24, 2007 08:17 AM

#30: Actually I would prefer either Edwards or
Obama to Gore- on both substance and
electability. (If you want to go by "least
theistic", Obama is UCC, the most liberal of all
Christian denominations.) To me Gore would look
good only compared to Hillary, which ain't saying much.

Posted by: Steve LaBonne | April 24, 2007 09:11 AM

#33: Here's the problem: he is not preaching
the gospel of science. He's got the right answer,
but he demonstrates that he arrived at it, in
part, by an invalid method, and science is all
about how you get your answer, not that it
matches somebody else's. What gets mistaken for
complaints about deviations from ideological
purity are actually complaints about completely
failing to grasp the basic concept.

Posted by:
<http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/>PZ Myers | April 24, 2007 09:31 AM

#51: Let's just hope that this stupendously
moronic remark will confuse the evolution/global
warming deniers. How are they to understand the
world when someone who denies evolution (at least
in this comment) nevertheless believes climate
science? My final comment is that it's time for
Al to face his own inconvenient truth. Glen D
<http://tinyurl.com/35s39o>http://tinyurl.com/35s39o

Posted by: <http://tinyurl.com/b8ykm>Glen Davidson | April 24, 2007 12:35 PM

#61: "...he's not above pandering to the
ignorant." Duh, did you forget about the PMRC?
For that, alone, I will never vote for that ignorant, whipped, chowderhead.

Posted by: K | April 24, 2007 03:11 PM

*

RETHINKING REQUIRED… http://www.randi.org/jr/2007-04/042707chop.html#i7

Wha…? He might as well have shown the
<http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/>chart
of global temperature vs. number of pirates
­ http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/ -
it's nonsense that completely undercuts the
seriousness of the science he's discussing.

It's strange how this one little slide makes me
far less enthusiastic about the prospect of
another Gore run for the presidency. Even if he
doesn't actually believe in a literal creation
event for mankind, he's not above pandering to the ignorant.

This has me very concerned…"

~ Janice ... :) .... Convenient Fibs about an
Underlying Truth: Al Gore’s Tortured Brief on
Climate Change’s Causes, Effects, and Solutions
Caleb Stewart Rossiter (Assistant professor,
School of International Service, American University)
http://academic3.american.edu/~rossiter/Convenient%20Fibs.html