Re: [asa] gonzalez' citation record

From: David Buller <bullerscience@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 23:19:40 EDT

Sorry I'm a little behind...

On 5/25/07, Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu> wrote:

> > Louise, what are the substantive differences between what Gonzalez said
> > in
> > his book about the cosmological design argument and what Collins said
> > about
> > the same argument in his? As far as I can tell, they're essentially
> > the
> > same argument. I think you're tarring Gonzelez just because he's
> > associated
> > with the DI, rather than because of anything he said in his book.
>
> As I stated before, I have not read Gonzalez's book and have only just
> begun Collins' so I can't
> answer that. I was not atempting to tar Gonzalez with anything, only to
> distinguish between
> theists who consider themselves "ID advocates" and those that do not. I
> know Collins thinks
> "biological" ID is a bad idea; what his view on cosmological fine-tuning
> is I couldn't say.

He says that "yes, the universe is fine-tuned for life to evolve" basically.

To answer what David Opderbeck said, I really do see a difference between
the "cosmological fine-tuning" view of Collins and the quite often
"God-of-the-gaps" view of much of ID. ID looks for God in the gaps of
scientific understanding. Collins stands in awe of God's working in and
behind (and beyond) the natural laws and processes, as do I.

-David Buller