[asa] Re: Is Philosophical Naturalism replacing Methodological Naturalism

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 13:53:10 EDT

On 5/27/07, philtill@aol.com <philtill@aol.com> wrote:

> Pim, the statement says this:
>
> "Methodological naturalism [is] the view that natural phenomena
> can be explained without reference to supernatural beings or
> events."
>
> And you wrote this:
>
> > It does not say all natural phenomena can be explained.
>
> I don't follow your point. Are you picking on my use of the word "all"?
> If you are, then try inserting the alternative word "some" in front of
> "natural phenomena." It overturns the whole purpose of the sentence by
> allowing compatibility with ID. The sentence structure really does mean
> "all natural phenomena."

It allows for the possibility of ignorance, if that is also
compatibility with ID then fine but that hardly makes ID scientific.
Science searches for explanations in terms of natural processes, ID
claims that it can detect the actions of a designer operating outside
the processes of regularity and chance.

The reasons why ID fail are given in the paragraph

<quote>However, such claims are premised on (1) the arbitrary
selection of features claimed to be engineered by a designer; (2)
unverifiable conclusions about the wishes and desires of that
designer; and (3) an abandonment by science of methodological
naturalism.</quote>

Remember that IDists argue(d) that ID is a better replacement for MN

Pointing out the gap problem of ID

<quote>
 Methodological naturalism, the view that natural phenomena can be
explained without reference to supernatural beings or events, is the
foundation of the natural sciences. The history of science contains
many instances where complex natural phenomena were eventually
understood only by adherence to methodological naturalism.</quote>

I truly fail to see how this is PN