[asa] Re: Is Philosophical Naturalism replacing Methodological Naturalism

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 22:21:13 EDT

On 5/26/07, Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On May 26, 2007, at 6:31 PM, PvM wrote:
>
> >
> > http://www.midiowanews.com/site/news.cfm?
> > newsid=15149725&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554188&rfi=8
> >
> > How does the claim by ID proponents that their work is science and not
> > religion play into the analysis? After all, how can one claim
> > religious hostility when this is not about religion?
>
> Because the former claim is wrong and the latter claim is right. Just

But if the ID insist that ID is not religion, then it seems hard to
insist on religious harassment.

> like you I don't buy upper-case ID is science. Nevertheless, the
> problem with this particular statement is that it is a strawman
> argument denying what ID does not claim and affirming scientism
> rather than science. Let's just call this the Queen Gertrude

Again, I do not buy into the claim that the statement affirms
scientism, in fact it affirms science.

> statement because it protesteth too much. I see over and over the net
> atheists saying that ID and Gonzalez is "anti science" this and "anti
> science" that when what they are really doing is merely advancing a
> poorly supported hypothesis. Of course, nobody else does that! :-)

Speaking of atheists. Have people noticed how the DI is now focusing
their attention on Avalos (with some pretty poor accusations btw). Our
list member Denyse O'Leary also voiced her 'concerns'.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2007/05/iowa_state_promotes_atheist_pr.html

Iowa State Promotes Atheist Professor Who Equates Bible with Mein
Kampf While Denying Tenure to ID Astronomer

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evolution/and-hector-avalos-deserves-tenure-at-isu/

And Hector Avalos deserves tenure at ISU?

<quote>
f Avalos misrepresented a magazne article as an article for a journal
whose topic area (astronomy) is DIRECTLY relevant to his attack on
Guillermo Gonzalez, his whole record had better be reexamined closely,
in the light of the Gonzalez tenure controversy.

It is at least possible that he planted this citation in order to
inflate his supposed credentials to launch an attack that might
endanger Gonzalez' tenure.

My goodness, this gets deeper and nastier - reminds me of the Beckwith
tenure case any thoughts there, Bill?
</quote>

Fascinating 'logic'

And then a supporting message from a Christian who would also have
signed the statement (seems that not everyone is 'confused' by the
statement)

http://www.heardworld.com/higgaion/

<quote>Have I mentioned that I disagree with Hector on a number of
points? He's an atheist and I'm a believer; that alone will tell you
that we don't see eye to eye. But I am outraged by the DI's attempts
to slander a reputable and ethical scholar just because they're upset
that he got tenure when their pal didn't.</quote>

Funny how the DI seems to desperately trying to get someone to take
notice, and yet few news sources (if any) have picked up on the story.

Now that's directly going after Avalos...

To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@calvin.edu with
"unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.
Received on Sat May 26 22:22:02 2007

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Sat May 26 2007 - 22:22:02 EDT