Re: [asa] The Assault on Reason' in America

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 16:29:49 EDT

At 04:09 PM 5/26/2007, PvM wrote:

>A bit of a stretch but I understand where you are coming from. It's
>unfortunate that some make libelous statements and have to retract
>them. However I am not sure how this addresses the issue raised by
>Gore. ...Read an excerpt [of Gore's book] at
>http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10440121#10376463
>Do we have 'free will' or are we indeed a victim of manipulation.?" ~ Pim

@ Talk about liars making lying/libelous statements:

"...Despite the absence of proof, Iraq was said to be working hand in
hand with al-Qaeda and to be on the verge of a nuclear weapons
capability. Defeating Saddam was conflated with bringing war to the
terrorists, even though it really meant diverting attention and
resources from those who actually attacked us.
When the president of the United States stood before the people of
this nation and invited us to "imagine" a terrorist attack with a
nuclear weapon, he was referring to terrorists who actually had no
connection to Iraq. But because our nation had been subjected to the
horrors of 9/11, when our president said "imagine with me this new
fear," it was easy enough to bypass the reasoning process that might
otherwise have led people to ask, "Wait a minute, Mr. President,
where's your evidence?" .." ~ AlGore (of the three stooges of the
stage act: Hanson, Chopak & Gore)

(#10) Whereas members of al Qaida, an organization bearing
responsibility for attacks on the United States, its citizens, and
interests, including the attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001,
are known to be in Iraq;

(#20) Whereas the President and Congress are determined to continue
to take all appropriate actions against international terrorists and
terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations, or
persons who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist
attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such persons
or organizations;

Joint Resolution 107th Congress 2nd Session #114 10/10/2002
  http://lilesnet.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_lilesnet_archive.html [much
more at this link also]

We ought to read the 22 reasons..."To authorize the use of United
States Armed Forces against Iraq.

(#1) Whereas in 1990 in response to Iraq's war of aggression against
and illegal occupation of Kuwait, the United States forged a
coalition of nations to liberate Kuwait and its people in order to
defend the national security of the United States and enforce United
Nations Security Council resolutions relating to Iraq;

(#2) Whereas after the liberation of Kuwait in 1991, Iraq entered
into a United Nations sponsored cease-fire agreement pursuant to
which Iraq unequivocally agreed, among other things, to eliminate its
nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons programs and the means to
deliver and develop them, and to end its support for international terrorism;

(#3) Whereas the efforts of international weapons inspectors, United
States intelligence agencies, and Iraqi defectors led to the
discovery that Iraq had large stockpiles of chemical weapons and a
large scale biological weapons program, and that Iraq had an advanced
nuclear weapons development program that was much closer to producing
a nuclear weapon than intelligence reporting had previously indicated;

(#4) Whereas Iraq, in direct and flagrant violation of the
cease-fire, attempted to thwart the efforts of weapons inspectors to
identify and destroy Iraq's weapons of mass destruction stockpiles
and development capabilities, which finally resulted in the
withdrawal of inspectors from Iraq on October 31, 1998;

(#5) Whereas in Public Law 105-235 (August 14, 1998), Congress
concluded that Iraq's continuing weapons of mass destruction programs
threatened vital United States interests and international peace and
security, declared Iraq to be in `material and unacceptable breach of
its international obligations' and urged the President `to take
appropriate action, in accordance with the Constitution and relevant
laws of the United States, to bring Iraq into compliance with its
international obligations';

(#6) Whereas Iraq both poses a continuing threat to the national
security of the United States and international peace and security in
the Persian Gulf region and remains in material and unacceptable
breach of its international obligations by, among other things,
continuing to possess and develop a significant chemical and
biological weapons capability, actively seeking a nuclear weapons
capability, and supporting and harboring terrorist organizations;

(#7) Whereas Iraq persists in violating resolution of the United
Nations Security Council by continuing to engage in brutal repression
of its civilian population thereby threatening international peace
and security in the region, by refusing to release, repatriate, or
account for non-Iraqi citizens wrongfully detained by Iraq, including
an American serviceman, and by failing to return property wrongfully
seized by Iraq from Kuwait;

(#8) Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its capability
and willingness to use weapons of mass destruction against other
nations and its own people;

(#9) Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its continuing
hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States,
including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President B*sh
and by firing on many thousands of occasions on United States and
Coalition Armed Forces engaged in enforcing the resolutions of the
United Nations Security Council;

(#10) Whereas members of al Qaida, an organization bearing
responsibility for attacks on the United States, its citizens, and
interests, including the attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001,
are known to be in Iraq;

(#11) Whereas Iraq continues to aid and harbor other international
terrorist organizations, including organizations that threaten the
lives and safety of United States citizens;

(#12) Whereas the attacks on the United States of September 11, 2001,
underscored the gravity of the threat posed by the acquisition of
weapons of mass destruction by international terrorist organizations;

(#13) Whereas Iraq's demonstrated capability and willingness to use
weapons of mass destruction, the risk that the current Iraqi regime
will either employ those weapons to launch a surprise attack against
the United States or its Armed Forces or provide them to
international terrorists who would do so, and the extreme magnitude
of harm that would result to the United States and its citizens from
such an attack, combine to justify action by the United States to
defend itself;

(#14) Whereas United Nations Security Council Resolution 678 (1990)
authorizes the use of all necessary means to enforce United Nations
Security Council Resolution 660 (1990) and subsequent relevant
resolutions and to compel Iraq to cease certain activities that
threaten international peace and security, including the development
of weapons of mass destruction and refusal or obstruction of United
Nations weapons inspections in violation of United Nations Security
Council Resolution 687 (1991), repression of its civilian population
in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 688
(1991), and threatening its neighbors or United Nations operations in
Iraq in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 949 (1994);

(#15) Whereas in the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against
Iraq Resolution (Public Law 102-1), Congress has authorized the
President `to use United States Armed Forces pursuant to United
Nations Security Council Resolution 678 (1990) in order to achieve
implementation of Security Council Resolution 660, 661, 662, 664,
665, 666, 667, 669, 670, 674, and 677';

(#16) Whereas in December 1991, Congress expressed its sense that it
`supports the use of all necessary means to achieve the goals of
United Nations Security Council Resolution 687 as being consistent
with the Authorization of Use of Military Force Against Iraq
Resolution (Public Law 102-1),' that Iraq's repression of its
civilian population violates United Nations Security Council
Resolution 688 and `constitutes a continuing threat to the peace,
security, and stability of the Persian Gulf region,' and that
Congress, `supports the use of all necessary means to achieve the
goals of United Nations Security Council Resolution 688';

(#17) Whereas the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-338)
expressed the sense of Congress that it should be the policy of the
United States to support efforts to remove from power the current
Iraqi regime and promote the emergence of a democratic government to
replace that regime;

(#18) Whereas on September 12, 2002, President B*sh committed the
United States to `work with the United Nations Security Council to
meet our common challenge' posed by Iraq and to `work for the
necessary resolutions,' while also making clear that `the Security
Council resolutions will be enforced, and the just demands of peace
and security will be met, or action will be unavoidable'; Whereas the
United States is determined to prosecute the war on terrorism and
Iraq's ongoing support for international terrorist groups combined
with its development of weapons of mass destruction in direct
violation of its obligations under the 1991 cease-fire and other
United Nations Security Council resolutions make clear that it is in
the national security interests of the United States and in
furtherance of the war on terrorism that all relevant United Nations
Security Council resolutions be enforced, including through the use
of force if necessary;

(#19) Whereas Congress has taken steps to pursue vigorously the war
on terrorism through the provision of authorities and funding
requested by the President to take the necessary actions against
international terrorists and terrorist organizations, including those
nations, organizations, or persons who planned, authorized,
committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September
11, 2001, or harbored such persons or organizations;

(#20) Whereas the President and Congress are determined to continue
to take all appropriate actions against international terrorists and
terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations, or
persons who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist
attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such persons
or organizations;

(#21) Whereas the President has authority under the Constitution to
take action in order to deter and prevent acts of international
terrorism against the United States, as Congress recognized in the
joint resolution on Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public
Law 107-40); and

(#22) Whereas it is in the national security interests of the United
States to restore international peace and security to the Persian
Gulf region: Now, therefore, be it Resolved by the Senate and House
of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This joint resolution may be cited as the `Authorization for Use of
Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002'.

SEC. 2. SUPPORT FOR UNITED STATES DIPLOMATIC EFFORTS. The Congress of
the United States supports the efforts by the President to--

(1) strictly enforce through the United Nations Security Council all
relevant Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq and encourages
him in those efforts; and

(2) obtain prompt and decisive action by the Security Council to
ensure that Iraq abandons its strategy of delay, evasion and
noncompliance and promptly and strictly complies with all relevant
Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq.

SEC. 3. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

(a) AUTHORIZATION- The President is authorized to use the Armed
Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and
appropriate in order to--

(1) defend the national security of the United States against the
continuing threat posed by Iraq; and

(2) enforce all relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions
regarding Iraq.

(b) PRESIDENTIAL DETERMINATION- In connection with the exercise of
the authority granted in subsection

(a) to use force the President shall, prior to such exercise or as
soon thereafter as may be feasible, but no later than 48 hours after
exercising such authority, make available to the Speaker of the House
of Representatives and the President pro tempore of the Senate his
determination that--

(1) reliance by the United States on further diplomatic or other
peaceful means alone either

(A) will not adequately protect the national security of the United
States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq or

(B) is not likely to lead to enforcement of all relevant United
Nations Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq; and

(2) acting pursuant to this joint resolution is consistent with the
United States and other countries continuing to take the necessary
actions against international terrorist and terrorist organizations,
including those nations, organizations, or persons who planned,
authorized, committed or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on
September 11, 2001.

(c) War Powers Resolution Requirements-

(1) SPECIFIC STATUTORY AUTHORIZATION- Consistent with section 8(a)(1)
of the War Powers Resolution, the Congress declares that this section
is intended to constitute specific statutory authorization within the
meaning of section 5(b) of the War Powers Resolution.

(2) APPLICABILITY OF OTHER REQUIREMENTS- Nothing in this joint
resolution supersedes any requirement of the War Powers Resolution.

SEC. 4. REPORTS TO CONGRESS.

(a) REPORTS- The President shall, at least once every 60 days, submit
to the Congress a report on matters relevant to this joint
resolution, including actions taken pursuant to the exercise of
authority granted in section 3 and the status of planning for efforts
that are expected to be required after such actions are completed,
including those actions described in section 7 of the Iraq Liberation
Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-338).

(b) SINGLE CONSOLIDATED REPORT- To the extent that the submission of
any report described in subsection (a) coincides with the submission
of any other report on matters relevant to this joint resolution
otherwise required to be submitted to Congress pursuant to the
reporting requirements of the War Powers Resolution (Public Law
93-148), all such reports may be submitted as a single consolidated
report to the Congress.

(c) RULE OF CONSTRUCTION- To the extent that the information required
by section 3 of the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against
Iraq Resolution (Public Law 102-1) is included in the report required
by this section, such report shall be considered as meeting the
requirements of section 3 of such resolution.