Re: [asa] The Assault on Reason' in America

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 15:29:38 EDT

On 5/26/07, Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 08:56 PM 5/25/2007, PvM wrote:
>

> NPR has a good article and interview with the veep
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10440121
> He makes some good points about this country .." ~ Pim
>
> @ On the one hand you claim that it is impossible for you to know absolute
> truth, yet you use the word, "good" and agree with a paranoid, "Blame
> America First" incoherent, bitter loser (who also suffers from BDS) that
> "reason" is being assaulted. ".. When I state that there is no such thing as
> absolute truth, I mean that even if it were to exist, we would never be able
> to know that it did." ~ Pim van Meurs Sat, 11 Mar 2006 Re: Alliance for
> Science

We may never know absolute truths but the logical fallacy by Janice is
quite simple, we do know what is good and bad.
Until America can take responsibility for the actions of a few which
undermine many aspects of our lives, pointing out how we are being
manipulated is of significant relevance to understanding how we are
not of 'free will'.

The latest case of assault on reason comes from global warming deniers
who seem to be unable to accept the data and consensus by thousands of
scientists and instead favor an approach of denial.

So far Janice seems to be arguing her usual ad hominem which she
should realize by now is one of the weakest arguments. Nevertheless,
what other responses could she have? She could address the real issues
raised about how we are being manipulated, how America has become
immune to reason, abandoning what made this country so great.

Name calling is just not going to make the Veep's arguments go away
and in fact, the recent success in restoring some reason to the global
warming debates is hopeful and "God willing" by 2008 this issue will
be at the forefront of all candidates.

For us Christians we have to understand how we are being manipulated
to take positions which Augustine warned us against.