Re: [asa] Nature on Gonzalez Tenue

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 03:01:26 EDT

> Perhaps we should gave the signees a bit of grace as well and not
> limit ourselves to these three options?

1.  Maybe the signees should have given a bit more grace to the person they were attacking.

2.  You are asking whether we should give a bit more grace to the signees for permanently hurting the life of a human being --- not merely for signing a flawed statement.

3.  As for the flawed statement, the main error lies with the author rather than the signees.  A statement supposedly written to protect the definition of science should have gotten the definition of science right.  Only the context of rushing to judgement can explain how such an inexcusible error could have been made.

The error may have been unintentional, but it was certainly not innocent.

Phil