Re: [asa] Nature on Gonzalez Tenue

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 20:52:39 EDT

David,
I think it is far worse than even this.  In their faculty petition they even made up their own definition for methodological naturalism, in which they basically discarded the qualifier "methodological" and described philosophical naturalism instead.  Strictly according to their definition, anyone who is not a philosophical naturalist (i.e., anyone who believes God did anything at all) cannot be a scientist.  But they dishonestly kept the word "methodological" in front of "naturalism" when they gave this definition.  Science was defined by the word "methodological" in front of "naturalism" for a reason, and they should know that!  Either they are being dishonest, playing a shell game to make people think that science is something that it never has been, or they are just ignorant anti-theists who don't understand science themselves, or they were being so zealous in their attempt to get at Gonzalez that they became sloppy and failed to notice what they were writing.
Phil