Re: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 16:09:32 EDT

I don't understand that.

Mountains are there because of atoms and gravity. One could ask where do
the atoms come from?
And where do the laws of nature come from that govern how atoms form
mountains?

You are right. Thats an entirely different question than asking how lumber
gets created and nailed into my house. The latter is closer to the
question Dembski is asking.

Closer to your concern - I was thinking this morning of asking ASA members
if they believe the Higgs field exists. I mean, mass exists because of the
Higgs field. The atoms are there because of the Higgs field. Yet the field,
as far as I know, is inferred rather than observed. As a theory it has that
characteristic in common with Dembski's ID theory. One wonders if the Higgs
field needs to be banned as a subject taught in schools, just in case its
there because of a supernatural force.

You ask "why". Is the "why" really a non-scientific question? Isn't "why"
the primary question in science? Symmetry, which leads to broken
symmetry, which leads to the laws of physics, seems a legitimate field of
study to me. What we can learn from this (ref: Stephen Barr) is that the
random chaos that atheists and naturalists say is the natural state of
affairs in the universe is itself only possible because of a higher order
symmetry; an higher order "order". I think we can ask questions about that
symmetry that without having to tackle the ontological questions. That
doesn't mean there aren't ontological questions, of course. It just means
what ontology studies overlaps with what science studies. I don't see that
its an either-or proposition. Trying to compartmentalize it, just to dismiss
a group of religious people, seems a mistake. What I think is a potential
danger, in the way of a possible injustice, is the naturalists telling us
that because there are ontological questions then the study of the higher
order symmetry lies in the realm of the supernatural. And that science by
definition then cannot deal with it. And therefore it doesnt really exist -
its just something religious people want to believe. That is the claim I am
hearing with respect to design theory - only religious people believe in
it.

I think history shows us the naturalists do this is *only* because of
language a Supreme Court case.
Its the same reason Discovery Institute puts an emphasis on "teach the
controversy". That language is in