Re: [asa] gonzalez' citation record

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 12:01:51 EDT

Louise, the link you posted from that other astronomer's blog whose tenure
case is precarious is interesting. Actually, IMHO, it's scary. Here's what
he says:

I believe it is *appropriate* for Gonzalez to be denied tenure for
publishing this book. In so doing, he not only *embarrassed his department
and his University, but actively worked against the cause of good science
education in this country*. This is the exact opposite of what Sean Carroll
did; his book brings prestige to him and (now, unfortunately) to the
University of Chicago, and furthered the cause of science education.
Gonzalez hurt it. Intelligent design is widely recognized by the scientific
community for what it is-- antiscience.... (emphasis in original)

Note that, once again, *any* reference to teleology is being conflated with
*every *ID argument and *every* sort of creationism and is called
"antiscience." Gonzalez's design arguments are essentially the same ones
made by Francis Collins in "The Language of God," essentially the same ones
made by Owen Gingerich in "God's Universe," essentially the same ones made
by Stephen Barr in "Modern Physics and Ancient Faith," essentially the same
ones made by Simon Conway Morris in "Life's Solution," and so on. This guy
is arguing that it's ok to write about the implications of science for a
popular audience, *but* *only if the discussion excludes any notion of
teleology*. Expressing *any* notion that the remarkable properties of life
and the universe reflect design -- even while accepting that life and the
universe can also be explained in terms of "natural" causes -- is grounds
for ostracism by the scientific community.

This makes me feel just as ill as the grand opening of the "creation
museum." Maybe even more so.