Re: [asa] Accuracy vs. Methodology in Science Education

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 21:07:43 EDT

This also is not an answer to Brian's question / (statement really) over
the antiquity of stalactites, but more commentary on it. Geologists on
this list are the ones who could enlighten us. E.g. is it really
claimed that these things all took millions of years to develop?

His [Brian's] sweeping conclusion may represent a simple naiveté over
such a broad issue, but he did make a specific observation about a
specific kind of event -- and that is part of what science is about,
even along with all the messy motivations for seeking those answers in
the first place.

Close to where I live, flood waters in the summer of '93 eroded some
significant gullies (some around 30 feet deep) through hard rock &
soil. The resulting "cliffs" were not trivial things to behold. This
was taken by some local YECs as a triumphant answer to the claim of the
Colorado river needing millions of years to carve out the Grand Canyon.
If these large rock formations could be shaped in a matter of weeks by a
local flood, then the Grand Canyon feat should be (relatively) quick
child's play for global flood waters. So does that represent a
slam-dunk for flood geologists on age issues? I'm sure most here would
be happy to share their commentary on why it doesn't. But the small
observation would still remain: flood waters can do an impressive
amount of work in a hurry. We have seen it with our own eyes, and that
bit of data remains despite what anybody does with it. And however
long it took stalactites to form in caves, young Brian has seen that
mineral rich, dripping water can leave a deposit in a short measurable
amount of time. While it isn't some new observation that any
scientists should be surprised, it still deserves an answer, if indeed
it is claimed that all such formations took thousands of millenniums.
  I think such science projects are a great opportunity and are pregnant
with "teaching moments" where observation & scientific method can be
affirmed, and the dangers of sweeping generalizations and illogical
leaps can also be discussed. It's the stuff of science education!

--Merv