[asa] global warming resources

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 00:08:08 EDT

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/05/start-here/

We've often been asked to provide a one stop link for resources that
people can use to get up to speed on the issue of climate change, and
so here is a first cut. Unlike our other postings, we'll amend this as
we discover or are pointed to new resources. Different people have
different needs and so we will group resources according to the level
people start at.

For complete beginners:

NCAR: Weather and climate basics
Oxford University: The basics of climate prediction
Pew Center: Global Warming basics
Wikipedia: Global Warming
NASA: Global Warming update

Those with some knowledge:

The IPCC AR4 Frequently Asked Questions (pdf) is an excellent start.
That covers:

    * What Factors Determine Earth's Climate?
    * What is the Relationship between Climate Change and Weather?
    * What is the Greenhouse Effect?
    * How do Human Activities Contribute to Climate Change and How do
They Compare with Natural Influences?
    * How are Temperatures on Earth Changing?
    * How is Precipitation Changing?
    * Has there been a Change in Extreme Events like Heat Waves,
Droughts, Floods and Hurricanes?
    * Is the Amount of Snow and Ice on the Earth Decreasing?
    * Is Sea Level Rising?
    * What Caused the Ice Ages and Other Important Climate Changes
Before the Industrial Era?
    * Is the Current Climate Change Unusual Compared to Earlier
Changes in Earth's History?
    * Are the Increases in Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide and Other
Greenhouse Gases During the Industrial Era Caused by Human Activities?
    * How Reliable Are the Models Used to Make Projections of Future
Climate Change?
    * Can Individual Extreme Events be Explained by Greenhouse Warming?
    * Can the Warming of the 20th Century be Explained by Natural Variability?
    * Are Extreme Events, Like Heat Waves, Droughts or Floods,
Expected to Change as the Earth's Climate Changes?
    * How Likely are Major or Abrupt Climate Changes, such as Loss of
Ice Sheets or Changes in Global Ocean Circulation?
    * If Emissions of Greenhouse Gases are Reduced, How Quickly do
Their Concentrations in the Atmosphere Decrease?
    * Do Projected Changes in Climate Vary from Region to Region?

And much more with links... Excellent answers to often asked questions