Re: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 20:38:18 EDT

1)
I had a least 4 separate trains of thought that came out of your posting.
And reached the conclusion that I dont understand what you are saying.

Let me try to restate it to see if I got it right:

"the goings on in Nature and so what Nature truly is"

via "a higher form of inference" have a "consequence" of "leads to design".

In other words, design is an inference? Is that correct?

2)
Dembski wrote that ID isn't about how material came to be, but how it is
re-arranged. (which seems to be your other point).

That would seem to be one of the various types of ID. It isn't clear where
anything supernatural or religious even comes into play there. I just
really don't get it. What is the natural explanation for the words in the
hedge in the harbor at Victoria, BC? The plants spell out "Welcome to
Victoria". There's nothing in nature that explains how plants are arranged
to spell out a phrase in english that is context sensitive and specific to a
geographical location. Its not a natural phenomena. But neither is it
supernatural.

Here's something fun: Go to google earth and zoom in on South Bend Indiana.
Pan west along highway (10?) about ten miles. You will see the word
"Studebaker" spelled out by the forest. You can see this from orbit. Does
this have a natural explanation? Nope. Does it have a supernatural
explanation? Nope. There are other categories. But we (the country) are
ignoring this, and are instead arguing about a black and white fallacy.
Why? Francis Beckwith has written the reason is in order to exclude certain
domains of knowledge from the status of being rationally permissible (by
labeling them as supernatural or religious). It seems to me everybody has
a stake in making sure that sort of exclusion doesn't become a national
institution.