Re: [asa] Accuracy vs. Methodology in Science Education

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu>
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 20:04:11 EDT

I don't think it is necessary for a student to be 100% "right" when planning and executing a
science experiment. To give an example from my own childhood, I planned a 6th grade science
experient based on light. Upon learning that light could be split up into the "Roy G. Biv" colors,
and that shining the light through a red cell would block all but red, etc.; I reasoned that, if
pure sunlight focused throught a magnifiying glass would set a piece of paper on fire in 10
seconds, it would take 70 seconds for red light, or bue light, etc to do the same. Not a bad
hypothesis for a 6th grader, if I do say so myself! So I got some colored cels and a magnifying
glass and tested the hypothesis. Of course, it didn't work, the colored light set the paper on fire
pretty much as fast as the sunlight did. My parents then explained that most of the engery in
sunlight was not in the visible spectrum. Lesson learned.

The point is, my parents and teacher turned to established scientific principles to show me what
the flaw in my preditiction was. I was in no way encouraged to conclude that light was in fact
not separable into component colors by natural means after all, but only through direct
intervention by God (though that would be consistant with the Biblical origin of the rainbow,
right?)
__
Louise M. Freeman, PhD
Psychology Dept