Re: [asa] Focus on the Family supports the YEC nonsense

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 14:16:09 EDT

Burgy said: *David O. commented that Dobson was "friendly" to Hugh Ross*.

By "friendly" I didn't mean "nice" or "gentlemanly," I meant not opposed to
the substance of his views. I wasn't using the term in the same was a
Campolo did of Fallwell (which in itself, of course, was just one of those
things you say when somebody dies).

Burgy said: *Apparently Ham thinks that this means that anyone who calls
AIG's claims nonsense, and tries to persuade others of this claim, is
attacking the constitution. Whew! I guess that, under this misguided
mindset, some of us here are attacking the constitution!*
**
Believe me when I say that the one of the last people in the world I want to
defend is Ken Ham. However, a fair assessment of "Defcon's" efforts here
leads me to suggest that Ham has a point. After all, the so-called
"creation museum" is privately funded and in itself has nothing at all to
do with public education. The so-called "creation museum" may be completely
wrong, completely dumb, and contrary to scientific and theological integrity
(and personally I think it's all of those things -- I feel ill just thinking
about the damage it will do to the cause of the gospel and the cause of
truth) -- but, in America, people have a sacred right to say things that are
wrong, dumb, and lacking in scientific and theological integrity. "Defcon"
is trying to spin this into an assault on "science education" and thereby to
paint the "creation museum" as a constitutional church-state issue (note
"Defcon's" slogan: "Campaign to Defend the Constitution"
http://www.defconamerica.org/) That's wrong, dumb, and disingenuous too.

But aside from the above, I'm still a bit puzzled by Dobson highlighting
this in his newsletter. "Defcon," as far as I know, isn't a culture war
heavy hitter, and there aren't, as far as I know, any serious efforts afoot
to keep the so-called "creation museum" from opening -- as there wouldn't be
any legal grounds to do so. But let me put a completely speculative and
cynical hat on for a moment and suggest there's lots of grass-roots power
and money in the perception that the Bible is being attacked. It would be a
shame, but I fear this "museum" will become one more of those symbolic
culture war beachheads.

On 5/24/07, Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com> wrote:

> Gordon observed: "I don't see that Focus on the Family takes a specific
position on the
> science (emphasis on the word science) issues involved here."
>
> We obviously read the email differently. The email uses pejoratives to
describe one side -- acceptance of the YEC nonsense as "science."

> If I would give equal time to both science and AIG nonsense, in a sense I
would be endorsing the YEC position. Might as well give equal time to the
Flat Earthers.

> The email is designed to associate the dreaded "left" with attacks on
AIG's "science." It does a good job, I think, of appealing to the naive
faithful.

> Ham is quoted as saying: "What is incredible about all this is that this
group called DefCon is supposed to be defending the Constitution," he told
CitizenLink. "They say that you can have freedom of speech, freedom of
religion but you're not allowed to say that science supports the Bible."
Apparently Ham thinks that this means that anyone who calls AIG's claims
nonsense, and tries to persuade others of this claim, is attacking the
constitution. Whew! I guess that, under this misguided mindset, some of us
here are attacking the constitution!

> I would wish that, if Dobson really endorses science, he would say so and
disavow AIG, ICR and other YEC positions. AFAIK, he has not done this.

> David O. commented that Dobson was "friendly" to Hugh Ross. The late Jerry
Falwell was also described (by Tony Compolo) as being at all times "friendly
and a gentleman" and I have no reason to doubt this characterization of both
him and Dobson. This has 0 to do with whether (or not) they are seriously in
error on some issues.