Re: [asa] Focus on the Family supports the YEC nonsense

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 09:51:50 EDT

David Clounch said: *Can you point out any ID organization or any
creationist organization that is in even the tiniest way interested in
being a civil rights organization? Is there anyone in these movements who
will defend my right to believe something different about the Bible than
they do? If there is, I have yet to meet them.
*
In an effort be fair to policy groups such as Focus on the Family et al., I
think they'd also be concerned if, say, a public college campus chapter of
the ASA (when we get local chapters!) was targeted by a campus atheist group
simply for suggesting that God directed creation for a purpose. I would
tend to think, though, that the concern might not be as deep and vocal,
because of a bunch of factors, such as: (1) the culture war history of
creationism and ID in the public schools; and (2) the extent to which the
passions of the grass-roots / donor base would or wouldn't be aroused.

Focus, in my opinion, has lots of good resources on the "family" side of the
house, but its public policy arm is stridently devoted to the culture wars
-- and this is what you get, not only when it comes to faith and science,
but on a whole constellation of policy questions. Activists tend not to be
attracted to moderates.