Re: [asa] RATE fraud (Was RATE's Radioactive Thourium Plot)

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 15:15:52 EDT

Thanks for the correction, Steve. Snelling says in Rate Vol. II page 158 that Po radiohalo formation would quickly die out (due to short half-life and insufficient source of Po). Then he adds "On the other hand, the U-238 in the zircons continues to alpha-decay so that the resultant U-238 radiohalos continue to darken right through until the present time." He says the halos couldn't form until the temperature had dropped below 150C.

And another correction to one of my previous comments. Accelerated decay, Snelling claims, is not primarily dependent on nuclear weight but on the decay constant. from page 158: "Austin and Snelling have argued that the discordances between the isochron ages obtained on the same rocks by the different radioisotope systems can only be resolved if the acceleration factor was a function of the decay half-life (and perhaps the atomic weight), such that the longer the half-life of a radioisotope, the more its decay was accelerated." Therefore U-238 is highly accelerated and Po isn't. (no one seemed to ask what would happen to the stable isotopes! By logical extrapolation, isotopes with an infinite half-life would be impacted the most. A lot of stable elements would become unstable if the potential barrier is lowered or the strong force coupling constant changes.)

Finally, Snelling has this paragraph on pages 189-190:
"It would seem to be very disappointing that the fiat Creation hypothesis for the formation of the Po radiohalos and their host granitic rocks has been falsified. However, the timescale considerations for the formation of Po radiohalos still remain..."
That means, as Steve pointed out, that the RATE team disputes Gentry's original work on Po radiohalos but use the U and Po halos instead to demonstrate the need for accelerated decay rates.

Randy