Re: [asa] Neal Adams expanding earth theory

From: <cmekve@aol.com>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 17:46:46 EDT

I don't dispute Charles's dismissal of an expanding earth, but I do want to point out that the idea as applied to geology was stoutly defended and promoted into the 1990's by S. Warren Carey -- a first-rate geologist.  He singlehandedly established a well-respected geology department at the University of Tasmania, taught at Yale for a while, and received the Geological Society of America's Career Contribution Award for a lifetime of excellent science.  He was no lightweight.

Carey published on expanding earth ideas in Nature, among other places, and in 1976 Elsevier published his book "The Expanding Earth" as volume 10 of their Developments in Geotectonics series.  In 1981 the Australian equivalent of AAAS sponsored an international symposium on his expanding earth model; a proceedings volume came out in 1983.  I have heard some top-tier geologists say that the only reason they ever gave the expanding earth a second thought was because of their respect for S.W. Carey.

As for me, I'll stick with plate tectonics.

Karl
Karl V. Evans
cmekve@aol.com