[asa] Focus on the Family supports the YEC nonsense

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 17:31:22 EDT

The following email came from Focus on the Family, James Dobson's
organization.

Burgy

Date: May 22, 2007
From: Focus on the Family
By: Wendy Cloud

Liberal Group Assails New Creation Museum
by Wendy Cloyd, assistant editor

Claims Biblical truth and science are not compatible.

Far-Left DefCon America has launched a campaign against a northern
Kentucky museum dedicated to a biblical presentation of science and world
history. The Creation Museum, a project of Answers in Genesis, will open
its 76,000-square-foot facility May 28.

DefCon is telling people the project would "undermine" science and
"confuse" children. On its Web site, DefCon is described as "an online
grassroots movement combating the growing power of the religious right"
and fighting for "the separation of church and state … while respecting
people of faith and their right to express their beliefs."

According to Ken Ham, president and co-founder of Answers in Genesis
(AiG), DefCon is demanding tolerance of all beliefs, but will not
tolerate anyone who believes the Bible.

"What is incredible about all this is that this group called DefCon is
supposed to be defending the Constitution," he told CitizenLink. "They
say that you can have freedom of speech, freedom of religion – but you're
not allowed to say that science supports the Bible."

"Our campaign is focused on exposing AiG’s attempt to institutionalize a
lie," Clark Stevens, co-director of DefCon, told CitizenLink. "Our
opposition to the museum has nothing to do with religion – it’s about bad
science.

"We want Ken Ham as well as the rest of America to know that (we) are
opposed to his war on science education, and we call on him to stop
promoting this falsehood at the expense of our children."

Ham said it's preposterous to claim the museum has no basis in science.

"We are opening up a major facility to tell the world that the Bible is
true and we use good research in biology, geology, astronomy,
anthropology and so on – to help people understand you can trust God's
word. And they don't like it," he said.

DefCon is calling on educators to "oppose this nefarious campaign to
institutionalize a lie" by signing an online petition, an apparent
attempt to add names to its list of supporters.

"What's our lie?" Ham asked. "We're saying the Bible's true."