Re: [asa] Neal Adams expanding earth theory

From: Charles Carrigan <CCarriga@olivet.edu>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 16:50:10 EDT

Jon,

I've never taken the time to "debunk" this simply because it is so silly. Subduction zones are real, plain and simple. Besides the obvious global Earth mass & gravity problems.... contraction rates at subduction zones are similar in order of magnitude to spreading rates at ocean ridges; seismic tomography of the mantle shows recently subducted slabs still foundering down into the depths of the mantle; bits of ocean crust that pre-date Pangea, now emplaced in the continents as ophiolites are known all over the world... just off the top of my head... I'm sure there are a thousand other reasons why this junk is as absurd as anything from the RATE group.

hopefully that's enough to continue to pull the wool over your eyes and keep the tectonics conspiracy alive,
Charles

_______________________________
Charles W. Carrigan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Geology
Olivet Nazarene Univ., Dept. of Physical Sciences
One University Ave.
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
PH: (815) 939-5346
FX: (815) 939-5071
ccarriga@olivet.edu
http://geology.olivet.edu/

"To a naturalist nothing is indifferent;
the humble moss that creeps upon the stone
is equally interesting as the lofty pine which so beautifully adorns the valley or the mountain:
but to a naturalist who is reading in the face of the rocks the annals of a former world,
the mossy covering which obstructs his view,
and renders indistinguishable the different species of stone,
is no less than a serious subject of regret."
          - James Hutton

>>> "Jon Tandy" <tandyland@earthlink.net> 5/23/2007 2:19 PM >>>
I just had this link forwarded to me, along with someone's poor attempt at a young earth interpretation of the theory. This is an interesting presentation by Neal Adams, which argues that the earth is expanding and this provides a better explanation for the separation of the continents and seafloor spreading than the conventional Pangea, etc. I suspect there is quite a lot implied by this theory that contradicts observation, but I was curious if anyone has researched it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI

And for some more information, http://www.nealadams.com/nmu.html

Jon Tandy