Re: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 00:46:30 EDT

 I'd like to offer a quote from Paul Davies:

"The other main problem with Intelligent Design is that the identity of he
designer need bear no relation at all to the God of traditional monotheism.
The "designing agency" can be a committee of gods., for example. The
designer can also be a natural being or beings, such as an evolved supermind
or supercivilization existing in a previous universe, or in another region
of our universe, which made our universe using supertechnology. the designer
can also be some sort of supercomputer simulating this universe. So
invoking a superintellect as the levitating super-turtle is fraught with
problems."

Paul Davies, The Cosmic Jackpot, p 265.

Whatever we may think of the various options offered by Paul Davies, the
most interesting part of his description (of where the design comes from) is
the option for the designer to be "natural". Not only natural, but a part
of our cosmos. Not a "supernatural" option as claimed by the crowd at Iowa
State. One might be tempted to ask whether the signers at Iowa realize
that their first task, in order to maintain credibility, is to show where
Davies is wrong. I don't see where they deal with the issue.

-David Clounch

PS, I am sitting here right now with a sophomore from Iowa State. Believe
me, he is affected by this nonsense in the name of science. As is my son,
who is a junior in physics at University of Wisconsin. Both of them believe
design is religion, not science, because ignorant people say so.

From: David Campbell
<pleuronaia@gmail.com<pleuronaia@gmail.com?Subject=Re:%20%5Basa%5D%20STATEMENT%20ON%20INTELLIGENT%20DESIGN%20BY%20IOWA%20STATE%20UNIVERSITY%20FACULTY>>

Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 11:20:39 EDT

Another problem is that a lot of Intelligent Design claims are
scientific, but wrong. (Even Paul Nelson has made this point.) Thus
it's not true to say it's necessarily not science. Some of ID is not
science, but not all of it.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections