Re: [asa] Muggings and the tenure process

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 19:28:34 EDT

Gordon Brown wrote:

> From my experience with promotion and tenure committees I would say that
> the letters solicited from outside experts in the candidate's field are an
> absolutely huge factor in deciding these cases. Usually only those who
> have a role in making the decision have access to these letters, and so it
> is difficult for the rest of us to know for sure what went on in the
> deliberations over such personnel matters.

This sound much closer to the real truth. Important
factors are hustling abilities, number of graduating
PhDs, important papers, international reputation etc.
We can point to all the things he did do or didn't do or
others who have less and were rewarded. However, in
the final analysis, if somebody powerful enough doesn't
like you (for _whatever_ reason), you can basically count
on it being "game over pal".

If your a Christian, it good to remember the old maxim: "the
nail that sticks out gets pounded down." It happened to
Christ, it will happen to you.

One of the things that is far more important is to ask is
what we should do when we've been "pounded down".
What does scripture say we should do? What did Christ
do? That's really __a lot__ harder isn't it?

by Grace we proceed,
Wayne