Re: [asa] Muggings and the tenure process

From: gordon brown <gbrown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 16:37:04 EDT

From my experience with promotion and tenure committees I would say that
the letters solicited from outside experts in the candidate's field are an
absolutely huge factor in deciding these cases. Usually only those who
have a role in making the decision have access to these letters, and so it
is difficult for the rest of us to know for sure what went on in the
deliberations over such personnel matters.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395