Re: [asa] Reading recommendation request

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 05:04:59 EDT

Repcheck is one of the pophistory of science writers like Simon Winchester
who write more according to their imagination and prejudice than any sense
of history. He digs deep into the mythological conflict thesis of science
and religion.

It is sheer nonsense to say Hutton discovered geological time, he was only
one of the many geological savants (to use Rudwick's favoured term) in the
18th century who was aware of Deep Time and he probably was not the first.

You also need to consider Whitehurst, Needham, Buffon, de Luc, Werner,
Soulavie, de Saussure, among many others.
Many of these are described in Rudwick's Bursting the Limits of Time., or
theologically in my chapter in Myth and Geology.

Lyell(aka Johnnie come lately) provided nothing on the discovery of deep
time as it was all in place before he was born. He built on the work of his
colleagues like Buckland and Conybeare (both orthodox clergy). Buckland's
several works are worth looking at for giving a pre-uniformitairian
catastrophist view of deep time, as is Conybeare and Phillips Geology of
England and Wales (with an excellent section on genesis and geology). Apart
from splitting up the Tertiary with names provided by Rev William Whewell
Lyell did nothing for Deep Time except popularise it.

Hints of Deeper Time are to be found in the Theories of the Earth on the
17th century, which are usually misread as 17th cent YEC.

I have sent a few papers of mine straight to Keith

Michael