[asa] Reading recommendation request

From: Keith Miller <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 19:26:41 EDT

To the historians out there:

I am supervising a student research project on the historical
development of the modern geological timescale and absolute dating.
I am putting together a reading list. My first question is how the
book "The Man Who Found Time" by Jack Repcheck is viewed by
historians. My second question is which original works would be
recommended. I don't want to overwhelm the student, but I would like
him to read a few original sources. Works I am considering are
Cuvier's "Essay on the Theory of the Earth," a selection from
Lyell's "Principles of Geology," and possibly Hugh Miller's "The
Testimony of the Rocks."

Thanks!

Keith