Re: [asa] Muggings and the tenure process

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 16:02:42 EDT

>>> <SteamDoc@aol.com> 5/14/2007 6:19 PM >>>writes:

While I suspect that Ted is right about the viewpoint discrimination in
this
tenure decision (at least it smells bad, especially given the way some
other
faculty have "targeted" him), some correctives need to be made with regard

to some of the numbers and assertions being thrown around. Attempts to
defend.

<BIG snip>

Ted replies:
I understand from a physicist at a major research university, that
Guillermo has an h-index of 23. This means that he has written at least 23
papers that have each been cited at least 23 times. By the same
calculation, a recent Nobel laureate in physics whose name I gave my friend
for comparison, has an index of 18. The highest I have ever heard of is 41.
 Gonzalez is a world class scientist, even at his career stage.

This one really does exude an unpleasant odor.

ted