Re: [asa] Event or process

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 10:23:17 EDT

"In any case, the human soul, or spirit, or whatever you wish to call it, is not divine. It is not part of God. No part of us is "divine." I agree that the divine does not emerge from material things, but that is utterly without relevance to the question at issue."

  The question at issue is 'event' or 'process.' According to the above interpretation, it appears (but this may be my misinterpretation of the appearance) that spirit formed via (a) process. Let it be admitted then that there are other Christian theological traditions that speak about 'Godmanhood' (bogochilovechestvo) which are not subsumed by a 'no part of us is divine' perspective. If spirit (actually) 'emerges' from material things (cf. theory of theistic-biological evolution) then there is/could be no 'event' at which the Creator could have in-breathed us with the Holy Spirit.

"the 1st fruits of the divine come from the Holy Spirit." - George
"Exactly. The 1st fruits come from supernatural, not natural processes." - Jack
"No. Everything ultimately comes from God but in the vast majority of cases God works through natural processes. The burden is on you to give some convincing reason why in these cases God's action must be unmediated." - George

  'Majority' is statistical. Could it be suggested that in a vaster majority of cases God works through cultural and human-social processes? Not if one is a NATURalist and cannot entertain the idea that nature does not subsume almost everything else (except that which is kenotically hidden)!!

  There seem to be many questions about 'process theology' and 'process philosophy' under the surface here.

  Gregory

> "just saying "it seems much more likely" carries no more weight than "I
> can't believe that ...""
>
> My actual stance on this is that is it not possible for the divine to
> emerge from material beings, especially, fallen sinful beings, but I dont
> have the time or the space to fully argue for that idea here.

& I can call spirits from the vasty deep.

In any case, the human soul, or spirit, or whatever you wish to call it, is
not divine. It is not part of God. No part of us is "divine." I agree
that the divine does not emerge from material things, but that is utterly
without relevance to the question at issue.

> " the 1st fruits of the divine come from the Holy Spirit."
>
> Exactly. The 1st fruits come from supernatural, not natural processes.

No. Everything ultimately comes from God but in the vast majority of cases
God works through natural processes. The burden is on you to give some
convincing reason why in these cases God's action must be unmediated.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/