Re: [asa] RATE's Radioactive Thorium Plot (was Ancient Universe)

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 20:21:49 EDT

Good analysis, Steve. Thank you. The RATE team appears to have struggled with allocating the amount of accelerated decay. Many wanted all the acceleration to be allocated to the first three days of creation to avoid the problems of radiation damage to organisms. But too much of the evidence for massive amounts of radiation damage was in or above layers of fossil-bearing sediment.

The other twist is that only the heavier elements have the accelerated decay. Carbon-14 is exempt because in Baumgardner's work, the trace amounts of C-14 in diamond are used to determine an effective age of 50,000 years. He has some rather extraordinary assumptions to get that number down to 5-10,000 and if there were any accelerated decay, the problem would be worse. So the solution is simple--accelerated decay depends on nuclear weight.

Randy