Re: [asa] RATE's Radioactive Thorium Plot (was Ancient Universe)

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 12:11:10 EDT

On 5/20/07, Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Iain, I fully agree that YECs generally make distorted interpretations of
> the Bible to fit their theories. In my forthcoming essay on YEC, I make that
> point in detail. Far more than exposing the distortions in their scientific
> assertions, we need to expose the way they manipulate and distort Scripture.
> They show no respect for the literal sense of biblical texts, and thus
> they do a great disservice to the Bible that they claim to be defending.

Yes, this is the supreme irony of the whole thing! This friend of mine
wants to be a biblical literalist, and yet it appears I'm much more of a
biblical literalist than he is. Or at least I want to read the intended
meaning of the text. My understanding is that "Yehiy awr w'yehiy awr" means
something like BE - light and WAS - light. With it stripped down to the
bare bones, just a repeated two word phrase in the Hebrew connected by a
"w" (and) , it's hard to see how you're meant to take it other than that
light came into existence at that point.