Re: [asa] RATE's Radioactive Thorium Plot (was Ancient Universe)

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 04:10:59 EDT

On 5/20/07, Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Steve for this detailed response to our comments, and thanks to
> you, too, Iain, for the informative graphs. The RATE team has explained why
> the 6,000 year date is not a hypothesis to be tested, because we have God's
> word on the matter. However, a careful reading of Genesis 1:1-8 yields no
> information that God produced accelerated radioactive decay during creation
> days 1 and 2. Thus, it seems to me hypothetical to claim that this happened.
> How would they test this hypothesis?

On a more general point, it seems to me that Young Earthers have to make up
arbitrary hypotheses and distorted interpretations of the Bible to make
their theories fit. One that I've swapped emails with recently has
suggested that he is "Old Earth/Young life" - that the radioisotope records
suggest an old earth (I'd challenged him on Oklo), but that life and
creation week were 6000 years ago. I pointed out that "Let there be light"
was a command issued on Day 1, but if there had been just rocks decaying
merrily away for billions of years then light must have existed before that
( glowing molten larva, and also Cerenkov radiation whenever radioactive
decay particles pass through water giving a blue glow). His response was
astonishing. He said that the interpretation of "Let there be light" was
that God created THAT bit of light for the purpose of illuminating the
earth. Apparently I was being too literal in my interpretation of "Let
there be light". He therefore had no problems with light existing for
billions of years before Day 1.

For my self, I prefer to stick to the literalist interpretation. "Let there
be light" (just two simple words in Hebrew- yehiy awr) really does mean
what it says. It doesn't say "let there be some light (before we get the
sun-reactor online)". In providing their own twisted interpretation, they
have robbed the text of so much of its meaning (e.g. the beginning of the
continuing metaphor between light and enlightenment, going right through to
Rev 21:23).

-----