Re: [asa] Southern Ocean Loaded With Carbon Dioxide

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 15:40:00 EDT

At 11:38 AM 5/19/2007, philtill@aol.com wrote:
>Southern Ocean Loaded With Carbon Dioxide
>
><http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/southern-ocean-loaded-with-carbon/20070518204409990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001>http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/southern-ocean-loaded-with-carbon/20070518204409990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

@ Toooo funny! Looks like they had to come up with some more
computer models FAST in order to reverse what other computer models
predicted 6 months ago.

~ Janice :)

Southern Ocean Could Slow Global Warming
Science Daily ^ | 12-5-2006 | University Of Arizona
Posted on 12/05/2006 6:41:48 PM EST by blam

The Southern Ocean may slow the rate of global warming by absorbing
significantly more heat and carbon dioxide than previously thought,
according to new research.

....The new finding surprised the scientists, said lead researcher
Joellen L. Russell. "We think it will slow global warming. It won't
reverse or stop it, but it will slow the rate of increase."

The new model Russell and her colleagues developed provides a
realistic simulation of the Southern Hemisphere westerlies and
Southern Ocean circulation.

Previous climate models did not have the winds properly located. In
simulations of present-day climate, those models distorted the
ocean's response to future increases in greenhouse gases. ..

The current set of computer models that scientists use to predict
future climate differ in the degree to which heat is sequestered by
the Southern Ocean. The models vary in how they represent the
behavior of the Southern Hemisphere Westerlies and the Antarctic
Circumpolar Current, the largest current on the planet.

Stouffer said, "The poleward intensification of the westerlies will
allow the ocean to remove additional heat and anthropogenic carbon
dioxide from the atmosphere. Thus, the deep ocean has the potential
to slow the atmospheric warming through the increased storage of heat
and carbon." ..."