Re: [asa] RATE's Radioactive Thorium Plot (was Ancient Universe)

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 20:19:12 EDT

  See my response, below

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steven M Smith
  To: randyisaac@comcast.net ; rjschn39@bellsouth.net
  Cc: asa@calvin.edu
  Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 6:15 PM
  Subject: [asa] RATE's Radioactive Thorium Plot (was Ancient Universe)

  Apologies for the late response on this thread. I am about a week behind in reading posts on the ASA list.

  Although I have not read the RATE Vol. II report, I was asked by a friend to read and comment on RATE's summary book for the layman reader -- "Thousands ... not Billions." The thorium graph that you want to see was NOT in that book either. However, from the information given in this book we can easily construct a general graph that illustrates the increase in decay rates for any of the long lived radioisotopes (V-50, Nd-144, Hf-174, Pt-192, In-115, Gd-152, Te-123, Pt-190, La-138, Sm-147. Rb-87, Re-187, Lu-176, Th-232, U-238, K-40, or U-235).

  Because of the limitations of my email account and the ASA archives, I am going to briefly describe how to construct the graph. On a piece of paper draw a vertical line for our X axis. Label the bottom as 0 and the top of the line as 4.65 billion years. Title this X axis "Apparent Radioisotope Age". RATE admits that today's Apparent Radioisotope Age of the Earth is actually about 4.65 billion years.

  Now from 0 on the X axis draw a horizontal line to the right for our Y axis. Label the left end of the line 0 and the right end as 6,000 years. Title this Y axis "RATE Determined Age". RATE also determined that the true age of the Earth is only about 6,000 years. ("One principle agreed on by all the RATE members is that the earth is young, on the order of 6,000 years old. This is not simply a working hypothesis to be tested as to whether it is true or false. Instead, it is a basic conclusion drawn from the biblical record of creation as written by the only One who was present, God himself." p. 174).

  In The Beginning, both our Apparent Radioisotope Age and our RATE Determined Age would be 0. So for our graph, plot a point at the origin.

  On page 138 of "Thousands ... not Billions", Don DeYoung tells us: "The RATE research concludes that the primary explanation for the large amount of daughter products now present in the earth's rocks are two periods of highly accelerated nuclear decay, with about 90 percent of the total occurring during the early part of creation week ... " Earlier in the book, we are told that this burst of accelerated nuclear decay probably took place on Days 1 & 2 of Creation. This gives us our second point on the graph. On Day 2 (or about 0.005 years on the "RATE Determined Age" Y axis) plot a point at about 4.1 billion years for the "Apparent Radioisotope Age".

  Using a rounded figure of 1,500 years between Creation and the Flood and the rest of DeYoung's statement ("... and the remainder during the year of the Genesis flood.") we can finish our graph. For a RATE Determined Age of 1,500 years plot another point at 4.1 billion years for the Apparent Radioisotope Age. (The actual age would be 4.1 billion plus 1,500 years but that just rounds to 4.1 B.Y. on our graph). Then because of the second burst of decay, in RATE year 1,501 we can put a point at 4.65 billion years for the Apparent Radioisotope Age. Finally our last point is plotted at 6,000 years for RATE and 4.65 billion years for the "Apparent Radioisotope Age".

  When finished you should have a graph with 2 stair steps. For those you want to know how this fits in the Geologic Time Scale, label the first step as Precambrian and the second step as "Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic combined". The guts of your graph should look something like this ... (unless web formatting destroys my 'artwork').

  __________|"Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic combined

  | Precambrian

  And that's it. That is the main conclusion drawn by the RATE team from their $1.25 million project.

  Steve
  (Blame me and not my employer for these statements.)
  Bob's response:
  Thanks, Steve. Very enlightening. Perhaps by having all of the accelerated nuclear decay happen on creation days 1 and 2, the RATE team is trying to get around the difficulty of the burst of radiation killing off the plants that appear on day 3. However, I'm puzzled by this. Wouldn't the radiation linger over the whole creation week? Is there something I don't understand. Is the radiation captured by the rocks and kept from "leaking out" into the ground or the atmosphere prior to the Flood?