Re: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 07:49:48 EDT

While I agree with the statement, as far as it goes, I don't think I'd sign it if I were a member of the ISU faculty, for the following reasons

1) It's part of the political vendetta against Gonzalez. After things cool down, I might sign it, provided my second objection is remediated:

2) As it stands the petition could be seen as advocating that all discussion of intelligent design should be verboten. As Ted has pointed out, id has a legitimate place in philosophy of science.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
248.652.4148 (home) 248.821.8156 (mobile)
"A theory that you cannot explain to a bartender is probably no damn good"
--Ernest Rutherford