Re: [asa] pursuing objectivity in the classroom (Global W.)

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 23:48:27 EDT

Thanks Rich, (and Janice). They (the high school students I was
referring to) aren't doing any huge research project on this (it wasn't
even in a science class). But it was just a little end-of-year
classroom task where they could begin whetting their curiosities on this
issue. Next year, I may make a more substantial project that uses some
of this in a science class. I'm trying to think ahead how they can be
challenged to be informed and be aware of the players.

Janice, your links have a lot of good challenges too. Among the links
of yours I perused, I didn't find any skepticism directed at the claims
of the b.a.u. proponents. (All that would be amply provided by the
"other side" you will rightly insist.) You are keenly in tune, it
seems, only with skepticism directed towards large government and
grant-funded university projects. Much of that ire is well-deserved, I
don't doubt. But it isn't the case that the b.a.u. folks are helpless
or above being "motivated" to promote only certain slants of truth. In
fact, if an informal and non-scientific tour of the web is any
indicator, it isn't clear that the "pro-b.a.u." folks are losing the
shouting match. In terms of sheer volume, they are well-represented in
the blogosphere. But if any of my students ever have any trouble
finding objections to the scientific findings indicating global warming,
then your links may be just what they need.

--Merv