Re: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 16:20:16 EDT

*Oxford is in the UK,
and Cornell and Harvard are privately funded institutions. Iowa State
is a state university and relies on public funding. Maintaining certain
standards within the norms of the scientific community by members of
their faculty who teach science is far more important when receiving
necessary taxpayer's money could be jeopardized.*

There's no such thing as a "privately funded" research university. The vast
majority of funding dollars at research universities, public and private,
comes from government grants (e.g., NSF and NIH) and industry.