Re: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 12:14:20 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "PvM" <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
To: "David Campbell" <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Cc: "ASA" <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY
FACULTY

> All ID can say is that given our present knowledge we cannot explain
> 'X'. A vacuous claim, scientifically speaking.

A slight dissent here. I agree that this is all ID does but it's an
overstatement to say that such negative claims are necessarily "vacuous"
scientifically. It can be helpful to point out things or classes of
phenomena that current theories haven't explained adequately, especially
because of the tendency of practitioners of Kuhnian "normal science" to
ignore such things. Lord Kelvin's speech ~110 years ago when he pointed out
the two "small" difficulties remaining for classical physics, black body
radiation & the Michelson-Morley experiment, was certainly not vacuous!

Having said that, I hasten to add that (a) not all the things IDers point to
as unexplained in fact are & (b) it by no means follows that things
currently unexplained are unexplainable in terms of natural processes. The
notion that they are is a result of bad theology, not scientific analysis.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/