RE: [asa] STATEMENT ON INTELLIGENT DESIGN BY IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 10:44:13 EDT

Hi Ted, you wrote:

>>Absolutely, I would not have signed it. I continue to believe that
Prof
Avalos' conduct was simply outrageous, and that the denial of tenure to
Guillermo is a direct, intended result of his conduct. Show me the
similar
peitions at Oxford, Cornell, and Harvard, directed at Dawkins, Sagan,
Wilson, or Pinker, before asking me to sign this one.<<

I can see a glaring difference in your examples. Oxford is in the UK,
and Cornell and Harvard are privately funded institutions. Iowa State
is a state university and relies on public funding. Maintaining certain
standards within the norms of the scientific community by members of
their faculty who teach science is far more important when receiving
necessary taxpayer's money could be jeopardized.

Dick Fischer, Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org